Monday, January 19, 2015

In the Saddle Again

Finally back in the swing of things again. I've been lucky to have lots to keep me busy, but every now and again I stop and really think about her, miss her. Every day there's something to remind me of her which is lovely, even if it makes me a little sad. It's all part of the process of life and I know she would want me to enjoy what's happening in my life. So I'm trying. I'm "being" or at least learning how to...

Be. Present.

I'm working on it.

Lots of exciting things for me this semester though! Started choreographing for our Spring Show this week, something I haven't had the chance to do before which makes this extra exciting. The dancers are fabulous and the music is energetically contagious! Seeing the steps on paper come to life through these dancers has always been my favorite part of choreography. Equally so is being able to rework in the moment, finding an accidental diamond in the attempts and redo's.

These kids are fearless and eager to do whatever I throw at them. They have no clue what's coming in the piece or what it even looks like and yet they're ready to jump in and move because it's what they love. Committed enthusiasm is a true luxury and I don't take it for granted.

Choreography itself is a creative structural process; I feel like an architect of movement, sketching and building the work at every turn. When the movement starts taking life and shape, that's when I begin to edit, adjust, and tweak. If I were 100% set in what was on paper, I'd never know what possibilities lie beneath it all. That's the part I really like. Discovering new material, movement, and pictures with the dancers there.

It's certainly a challenge. Taking what I see in my head, putting it down on paper, pulling it out to fit on the dancers, and tailoring it to fit the music, the stage, the mood. It's such an organic creative process and the process is as equally, if not more important than the performance.

In short, I'm loving every moment.



What's your creative outlet? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...