Sunday, March 16, 2014

Chocolate Banana Smoothies

Occasionally when I go home I get to work with one of my aunts in her shop. She's an embroiderer and digitizer so we spend a good majority of the day hooping, trimming, folding, and sorting. She plays fun music, we can-can, it's great! At lunch time, she always makes a homemade meal--I kid you not!

She's got a little kitchen set up in her shop, full fridge, stove, oven, and all, to make a home cooked dinner. No sandwiches and chips, no frozen meals. A real meal like meatloaf and mashed potatoes or roasted chicken and fresh green beans. We sit down at a table, pass the tea, and savor the flavors. I love that she does that for her workplace!

But one of my favorite things about her shop is that she always has Three O'Clock Snack Time. At precisely 3:00 pm, we take a quick break for a little snack (and she always has awesome snacks) and then we get back to work. It never fails that mid-afternoon is when I hit my slump. A little after lunch, but too soon until dinner, my tummy thinks it's time for another meal and my brain refuses to work right with out a little nosh. For me, Three O'Clock Snack Time is perfect for me. Well, it's probably more like Four O'Clock, but it's snack time nonetheless.

When I plan meals for the week, I feel like I'm preparing for battle. I try to arm myself with healthy things to pick and choose from so that when I do hit my slump I don't reach for the sweets or cokes like I sometimes do. It's got to have a little of protein and be filling enough so I don't feel like I need more.

One of my favorite break items is the Chocolate Banana Smoothie.

I'm sure you've seen it on Pinterest, it's not a hard thing to make and it really hits the spot! Here's the basic recipe: 

1 banana
1-2 Tablespoons of your favorite peanut butter
1 cup of chocolate milk--I prefer the dark chocolate almond milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla 

*Feel free to adjust anything to make it fit your taste buds. 

Throw the ingredients in a blender, I use my Nutribullet. Give it a couple of pumps to blend together, throw it in a pretty glass and enjoy! 

Sometimes it's a little heavy for me and I only drink about half and save the rest for later. This is something to make ahead and store in the fridge when you need. It's delicious, filling, and helps me hang on happily until dinner. 

What's your favorite snack time item? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...