Monday, September 10, 2012

Pumpkin Spice & Everything Nice

Who doesn't love the pumpkin spice flavor? Considering fall is right around the corner, this is the perfect time to add this flavor to pretty much anything. I personally love it in my coffee (Hello, Starbucks!) and baked into homemade goodness. 

This weekend I was dying to bake something for fall, something to satisfy my need for orange and red colored leaves and a cooler breeze. So I popped onto that handy dandy Pinterest site, my favorite get away site, and searched for anything pumpkin flavored. I came across this precious gem, Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts.

Recipe? Pretty easy. Taste? Pretty delicious. Status? Less than 24 hours and all gone. Here's the recipe: 


Doughnuts

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus heaping 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons unbleached flour



    Directions
    1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans. If you'd like, these can be made in muffin tins. 
    2) Beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, spices, salt, and baking powder until smooth.
    3) Add the flour, stirring just until smooth.
    4) Fill the wells of the doughnut pans about 3/4 full; use a scant 1/4 cup of batter in each well. 
    6) Bake the doughnuts for 10-12 minutes. (Original recipe said for 15 - 18 minutes but I found 15 minutes left the donuts dry.) 
    7) Remove the doughnuts from the oven, and after about 3-5 minutes, loosen their edges with a spoon, and transfer them to a rack to cool.
    8) While the doughnuts are still warm (but no longer fragile), gently shake them in a bag with the cinnamon-sugar. 
    9) Cool completely, and wrap airtight; store at room temperature for several days.
    Makes: 12 doughnuts


    Cinnamon Sugar

    1/2 cup of sugar
    2 Tablespoons of Cinnamon

Drop in a bag and shake it up! You'll have a ton of leftovers, but I like keeping it on hand for cinnamon toast. 



I kept four at home and boxed up the rest for Pyro Man to take to work to share and find out the verdict. Me? I'll love anything pumpkin spice, but I wanted to know if anyone else liked them, too. Pyro Man doesn't care for pumpkin, poor man. So much for an at home taste tester.  He came home with an empty tupperware so I'd call that good. 

Someone suggested using powdered sugar instead of cinnamon sugar. I'm really curious to try that in the future and this is definitely one I will try again. 

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...