Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dancing in Dallas: Pro League Prep Dance

Monday I took myself down to Power House of Dance in Frisco again. There was a class that kept popping up, peeking my interest, Pro League Prep. You may ask, "What in the world is a Pro League Prep class?" Well, I'll tell you.

Pro League Prep is a class for those who are interested in training to be on a professional dance team such as:

The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders

The Dallas Mavericks Dancers 


The Dallas Vigilantes Dancers


And there's a new team in town, too. The Texas Legends Dancers! They have auditions coming up at the end of July. In any case, these classes prepare the dancers for these auditions by giving combinations similar to what they would perform at the games. It. Is. Fun.

First of all, what lady doesn't like pretending for an hour that they're a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader in that famous uniform? The dances are energetic, sexy, and entertaining! Don't think it's all about shaking it out there. There's a whole technical element dancers can't forget about. Every turn, every kick, and step has to be sharp, clean and precise. Luckily we had an excellent instructor for the class.

Leslie Shaw-Hatchard coached us through every step, offering helpful tips including how to look sassy without going overboard. Leslie is an extremely experienced teacher with a great background in pro league dancing. She was a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader, even a Mavericks Dancer and is currently the director of the Texas Legends. I actually had the pleasure of knowing Leslie from when I was a student at Broadway Dance Center in Garland. It was great having a class with her again!

Sometimes what makes or breaks the class is the teacher and I can tell you this class is worth taking just because Leslie is so much fun! She started us off with a little stretching, getting warmed up before we really started dancing. After that, it was all about choreography. She builds on a combination throughout the week, starts the combo Monday and adds on the following two classes. It's a smart strategy, especially in a prep class. Dancers can take the class how they want. One day they can focus on getting used to the style and the next picking up the choreography more quickly.

The class is an hour long and I guarantee you will sweat. It's high energy, extremely fun, and well worth the try. The class is offered at both the Dallas and Frisco locations of Dallas Power House and with a  couple other teachers.

Class Cost: $15
Class Time: Hour
Schedule: Monday-Thursday from 7:30 to 9:30. Check Here for specifics.
Where: Dallas Power House of Dance, Frisco

If you missed my first post about Power House of Dance in Frisco, you can check it out here. Next class I took this week? Well, it's a special surprise! Stay tuned for the next Dancing in Dallas!

1 comment:

  1. These updates make me wish I lived in Dallas! I wanna come to class with you!!! P.S. I MIGHT be coming to Dallas the first weekend in August for my sister's competition... we'll only be there for the weekend, and I'm not entirely sure of my travel plans... but... is there any chance I could see you!? Hope you're doing great Miss Julie Blue! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...