Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dancing in Dallas: Dallas Ballet Center

Hey fellow dancers in Dallas! This is a first of many, I hope. Last week I decided I was going to try out different dance studios around Dallas and Ft. Worth and then post my findings here. If you want complete details, check it out here.


My first studio to blog about: Dallas Ballet Center.


I started taking at Dallas Ballet Center (DBC) about ten years ago. The studio is under the direction of Judy and Brent Klopfenstein, a wonderful couple who have built a fantastic studio. I really like the environment of this studio, very family oriented and encouraging. The best part? Great adult ballet classes. 


I go to their Adult Advanced Ballet class taught by Cyndi Jones. The class is full of a variety of dancers. Some are elder ballerinas, some teenage ballerinas, dancers who are staying shape, new dancers following a dream. Whatever your status is, this class is for you.  


Cyndi starts the class off with a theraputic barre before delving into plies. We have a solid hour of barre that works every part of the body. I find that no matter where you are in your training, beginner or advanced, her barre is definitely a work out. She gives you freedom to adjust the combinations to fit what you need. For example, for an advanced dancer, do your rond de jambe en l'air combination on releve instead of flat. Add additional beats to your jumps, turns at the barre, what have you. Adjustments like this allow the dancer to get what they need out of the class. 


Barre ends with a barre stretch followed by free floor stretches and a short series of crunches. We move on to centre work, adagio, turns, and allegro. Her class is all about moving and enjoying class. The class is challenging without being too hard on the body. I find that if I've been away from class, this is a great one to take to get back into things again. 


Class Cost: $15 a class or buy a class card
*Class Card pricing depends on the number of classes you wish to take. 


1-6 classes = $15 per class
7-11 classes = $12 per class
12+ classes = $10 per class




Class Time: Hour and a half
Schedule: 


June 20th - August 6th 


Adult Beg.           -     Sat.                        9:30 - 11:00 am
Adult Beg/Int.     -    Thurs.                  12:00 - 1:30 pm
Adult Int. Adv.   -    Mon/Wed               6:30 - 8:00 pm
                                  Tues/Thurs/Sat      9:30 - 11:00 am


I know there will be classes the rest of this week (June 6th through the 11th), but not next week (June 13th through 18th). I hope this helps some of the dancers out there and maybe I'll see you in class! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...