Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Something Sweet...

I'm a dancer with a serious sweet tooth. This poses a major problem in my meal planning--I've found I can't live off sugar alone. Or peanut butter, which is equally depressing.


I've discovered with my little kitchen that I really enjoy cooking--flubs and all. Flubs including homemade crispy macaroni and cheese, only it wasn't supposed to be crispy. Ahem. Then there's that one time I got confused about what type of rice was supposed to be used for a particular stove top dish. An hour later and the chicken was dried beyond recognition, veggies were incredibly over cooked, and the rice was still not done. If you have not learned the difference between the various basic types of rice (pre-cooked, uncooked, and microwavable), I highly recommend figuring that out or else be doomed to gnaw on dry chicken.

In this quest to perfect my culinary skills, of which I am far from perfect, I continue to peruse various cooking websites in search of something new and different. Some days I think, "wouldn't it be lovely if I could create a cookbook for dancers," but I then I remember that the dessert section of my recipe binder is dangerously larger than the other categories. Whoops.

Somehow my bigger meals always turn out slightly unbalanced, something healthy with something incredibly sinful. Had the girls over on Saturday and we had a wonderful Red Beans and Rice Soup, courtesy of my old Weight Watchers recipes, but then something went amiss. I added in homemade cornbread where I proceeded to teach my friends how to eat it warm with butter and honey--I prefer Steen syrup but I couldn't find any in Oklahoma City. Go figure, but oh my stars, the way butter and honey blend together should be outlawed. Then, I lost my head and added in this amazing fall dessert treat, Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.

**Side note--you should seriously try these cookies. Super moist and out of this world delicious. The cookies have a perfect pumpkin flavor and the cream cheese icing in the center adds the sweet taste you're craving. Oh my gosh, pardon the drool, but I could really go for one of those right now. **

As much as I enjoy being in the kitchen, it's the baking that really calls my name. I wish I could spend a little more time experimenting with the recipes I'm finding at The Tasty Kitchen. I find something new everyday and my recipe box keeps growing. I haven't added any recipes to the site as I have yet to experiment with creating something on my own. Too many flubs keep me following directions very carefully these days (Did I mention the accidental overdose of Cayenne pepper? "1 Tbl" is not the same as "1 tsp". Sometimes I read too quickly. Oops).

In any case, whenever I find a recipe that has spoken to my inner baker, I will pass it along so that you too can partake in embracing your sweet treat addiction. Don't worry, I will try include things other than desserts, like breads! Just kidding, I'll throw in main course meals, too. As for me, I'm going to try resist testing out this Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe...help me Rhonda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...