Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nose in a Book

I love to read. I really do. Every summer I promise myself to read at least ten books and sadly I was unable to do so this year. Now I'm trying to make-up for lost time!

Sunday I popped into Barnes & Noble in search of Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. My friend, Megan, recommended it and said I'd really enjoy the series. I'm not going to lie, I was a little skeptical when I finally found it in teen fiction, but then again, one should never judge a book by it's cover! Ba-ha!

*cricket, cricket*

Well, I thought it was funny. Anyway, I passed through the rows and rows of literature, just wanting to get my hands on all sorts of bindings and absorb as many new stories as a I can. It seems as though my creative juices are in a bit of dry spell. I need to refuel and new books certainly help with that.

Also ran across the new Nicholas Sparks book, Safe Haven. Don't judge. I've already rattled on about a teen fiction novel, might as well take it a step further. Although, I do enjoy a Sparks novel now and again. He's writing is very predictable. Man and woman meet. Man and woman fall in love. Generally one is more hesitant about the relationship than the other because of some dark secret they are harboring. It always unfolds in the end with some traumatic experience and then they end up happily ever after. At least most of the time. Oh, and there's always a dead loved one involved or someone on their deathbed.

See? I've just summarized every one of his books. However, it's the characters that he creates that I absolutely love falling into. He has the ability to pen the exact phrase a person would want to hear from her mate--I use "person" and "mate" because no matter if the characters are male or female, they always say the right thing. Sparks creates these fictional characters that speak to anyone's fantasy and it just sells. And I always buy into it at least, even when I know what the story is before I've cracked the binding.

Well, anyway, I'm done with it now, happily satisfied with the ending result of this love story. Often times, I get very into a story and I can't stop living in it even after the book is closed. It's the most bizarre situation. I can't move on to another story until it's out of my mind completely. Must be the mark of a good writer if their tale leaves you wondering "what's next?"

Do you have a book that leaves you wanting more? Tell me! I could use some suggestions! Although, that might not be a good idea. It only took a day for me to finish one book. Any more and I might not want to do school work for the remaining 45 days I have! (I'm really worried about getting distracted by a good read. I just needed an excuse to tell you I only haev 45 days left. Well looky there, I just told you again! Hee hee...)

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. I suggest Let the Great World Spin by McCann...I'm only half way through and it's on hold because school reading has consumed me but it's excellent so far. I have no doubt it's screenplay material and I know how you love to read a book before it's discovered by Hollywood. Also, The Alchemist (which I have a copy you can have)it's by Paolo Ceolho and Julie Roberts has said that it's one of her favorite books! It' jam packed with theology, philosophy, and wise proverbs and you don't even realize that you're getting great life advice as you read it:) Lurve you fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you, Fav! I remember you telling me about it--I'll definitely have to pick it up now :) I think we're in need of a catch up date soon! Lurve you, too!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...