Friday, April 9, 2010

Sing-Song Sing Alongs

So I have this fabulous family. I mean it. They are crazy fun and super creative and I enjoy our facebook interactions so dang much!

Facebook interactions?! Well, more like facebook sing alongs! Yup, don't think they really existed before we invented them, but they do in fact exist. On more than one occasion someone will post a song lyric on their status and inevitably one or all of us will answer back with the next line or two. It's fantastic!

And when I say "family interactions" that really only includes two of my aunts and my mom, occasionally my sister when she isn't swamped with work. I mean, I can't really see the men joining too often--that might compromise their manly nature, plus I'm not too sure if they have facebook...that poses a problem it would seem...Anywho!

We've gone through just about every morning song you can think of. "Good Morning!" from Singing In the Rain and "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" from Oklahoma!. Even "Good Morning Starshine" from Hair.--If it's not obvious now, I love me some musical theater. But my all time favorite, "Good Morning to You," comes from our leading family choir director, my grandmother.

Grandma is a hoot and half--I love her dearly and she is always singing a song. To me it's pretty entertaining when she gets one stuck in her head and if she forgets the words. Well, she just hums 'til she gets back to the chorus again. I can't count the number of times we've all sung songs with her including SEVERAL rounds of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" outside on summer nights in Lubbock. I can remember being just a little girl running around her giant backyard, hopping on the swing set and having her sing me "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" as she pushed me back in forth. Since she's learned how to text, we sometimes send songs back and forth to each other.

Mom used to sing to me, too--mostly folk songs by Joan Biaz or John Denver and Jim Croce. There was this one song I just adored called "Lily of the West" that was about this man who was in love with this woman who ended up cheating on him and oh! There's a fight and the man gets sent to prison for killing the woman's lover! It's so dramatic and such a good story! I know, what kind of five year old would ask her mom to sing her this stuff, but it had a story to it! Only me--and I had no clue what pop music was until I like 11...such a bizarre child.

Rainy days? I always think of Winnie the Pooh's song. You know, "I'm just a little black rain cloud hovering over the honey tree. Everyone knows that rain cloud doesn't eat honey! No, not a nip!" There's a song for almost any day you're having--any form of expression for a person's mood. Today is an "Orange Colored Sky" for me--yes, I know it's blue, but I'm in that kind of a happy mood.

Have you ever noticed there really is a song for everything? Honestly, while people are speaking, sometimes I think of some song that fits with either the situation or what they just said. Try playing that as a game sometime, you'll be singing all kinda of songs all day. And that's the thing, every day there's a different song I'm humming around and I love how I can still share in that with my sing-along family even when we're miles apart. How cool is that?

So as you go about your day today, why don't you share your song with someone else--might just make their day, too.


"I don't sing because I'm happy; I'm happy because I sing." -William James

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...