Friday, February 19, 2010

For the Love of Peanut Butter


Sweet. Jeebus.

Have you ever had something that brings you joy unlike anything you've ever known?

Have you ever had something that can bring more comfort to your little soul in a way that is inconceivable?

Have you ever had a love for something that reaches far beyond normalcy?

No, I'm not talking about a pet or loved one or even a passion for a hobby--I'm talking Peanut Butter, folks. The single most delicious food item to ever be created. Ask me who my hero is. Go ahead. Ask away.

George Washington Carver. Why? He INVENTED Peanut Butter. Well, not really invented it so much as he furthered the use of peanuts which eventually led to the production of Peanut Butter (even though it had been invented long before then.). So I googled peanut butter history--Sue me for being a nerd.

When did this obsession actually start? I guess I could pinpoint the moment to being at Broadway Theater Project, summer 2005. I'd been having a bit a time adjusting, having horrible nightmares and being completely overwhelmed by the talent pool I was drowning in. Did a lot of journaling those three weeks. Learned a lot, too. Anyway, my roommate was a peanut butter fiend. She taught me sinful ways to eat the creamy goodness. Some of the better ones included dipping graham cracker sticks straight into the jar--I thought I was such a rebel--and smearing a thick layer on vanilla creme cookies.

Oh. My. Stars.

From that moment on I was hooked. Flash forward a couple months where I meet Karley, my college roommate, who only added to this obsession. I fell head over heels for a large red and green jar filled with none other than Reduced Fat Jiff Peanut Butter. No brand is a match for the deliciousness that waits in that plastic container. *SIGH*

Seriously, one of my favorite things to do is to twist off the red cap, peel back the foil seal, and inhale deeply. Then I delicately scoop out the first spoonful (try not to drool with me) and savor the first bite of fresh, soft, sweet, salty Peanut Butter. It ranks right up there with giving Piper belly rubs.

There are multiple ways to enjoy PB--celery, with jelly, on a spoon, bananas, TOAST, honey, crackers, on your finger, apples, spoons, in cookie form, covered in chocolate, spoon. Made myself clear?

I guess what really makes this particular condiment so heavenly to me is the amount of comfort it brings during stressful times. If ever my love for this nutty treat has wavered, my faith was restored in its healing powers this week. There were several "PB Moments," as I call. Taking a moment to scoop one large wad onto a spoon, closing the eyes and savoring the mass of creamy goodness relaxes the mind, body and soul--if only for a few mere minutes. Magic happens to block out whatever happenings are occurring and I am one with the spoon and jar in that moment in time. Scoff at the notion, but I kid you not, it's a Peanut Butter Zen experience, if you will.

There have been times where I've picked a jar, blacked out and woken up to a stomach ache, an empty jar, clutching a spoon in my hand. Who knows what really happens to end up that way...But needless to say there have been times where I've had to boycott purchasing my PB, but don't you doubt for a second I don't push my basket down the PB aisle and stare longingly at the rows of awaiting jars.

Happily, I would shove my face in a trough full of Peanut Butter some days just to make me feel that much better, but I know that joy lasts for a few minutes before my innards feel all gummed up, the scale breaks, and my guilt meter shoots off the chart. Still in all, I love it. I'm relearning to live with a jar in my apartment again--it's true. Some mornings it's just nice to peek in the cabinet I've hidden my Jiff in, say hello and close it up until I can safely enjoy a good swipe on a cracker.

In fact, I think now is as good a time as any. If you need me I'll be silently enjoying my snack, cradling the jar, being the happiest girl this side of Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...