Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hello, World? Yes, I'm Still Alive...

It's the day of the show, ya'll. Tonight is opening night of the American Spirit Spring Show and I don't believe it has hit me quite yet. Since the beginning of the spring semester the whole company has been scrambling for this show due to Oklahoma's amazing weather--Ice Storm 2009 seemed like a blessing to us returning college students, but alas it's wicked timing cut the company out of three days worth of rehearsal.

At this point in time you're thinking "how can that really be that bad?" Keep in mind each dance gets a total of ten hours worth of rehearsal and when the snow flurries kept us home bound, it cut us out of the time we really needed for the show. Since then we've worked hard, practicing long hours to remember every step, count, blocking color and proper wing to make our grand entrance. Blocking weekend hit hard and fast with what seemed like painstakingly specific instructions while tech ran as smooth as can be--it all comes down to tonight.

It's my last (and only second) Spring Show at OCU--that is unless I stay for grad school (don'taskmebecauseIhavenoideawhatI'mdoingyet!)--and this one is pretty special. I was lucky enough to be chosen for a solo this year that I share with three other beautiful dancers. "Drifting" was a solo Jo Rowan choreographed and performed many times over and has graciously passed the torch to us. Remarkable--that's how I'd describe this experience. For a few weeks I've been able to work closely with Jo on a more personal level with a touching dance that I know I'll treasure in my heart for a long time. I can't wait to take the stage tonight, spinning in my golden dress and really delving into the character. This is my one shot at it for the run and I want to make it the best I possibly can.

In other words, COME TO THE SHOW!! Tonight, Friday and Saturday at 8:00 pm and Saturday at 2:00 pm. http://www.okcu.edu/Dance_amgt/spring.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...